Thursday, May 9, 2013

Artist Biography 1: Aaron Frater




Aaron Frater, Object Maker:
 
 
 
“I grew up around painters, academics, designers and performers. I had much creative ferment to draw from, but I really wanted to carve. I whittled soap and built cardboard objects, but it was not until I was twenty that I found carvers, jewelers and sculptors to learn from – I have been a compulsive object maker ever since.

I have done many years of formal study, informal apprenticeship type study and many years of working myself to hone my art. My formal study includes a Craft Design Certificate (1988), teacher training, fine arts training.


And my highest academic achievement: An honors degree in Religious Studies (2009) to fulfill my insatiable quest for knowing the how and why of human nature; as well as the products of human nature (especially the artistic products).
My exhibiting career is as eclectic as my educational one. I have exhibited in many cafes and a few galleries, mostly in New Zealand. I have had my artworks go to Canada, Japan, the US – as my work is mostly small, I can cast a wide net. My larger sculptures have mostly been done at public sculpture events and ended up in private gardens. There is one community centre in Wellington that now has three of my pieces outside its entrance. I have exhibited a number of times at the Waitakaruru Sculpture Park in Hamilton, and have had pieces in numerous nationwide outdoor shows. I have also had the privilege of being 'Artist in Residence' at ArtsPost in Hamilton a number of years ago.

A little bit about my work...

My work is a language. It is a cliché that a picture speaks a thousand words. Well, a form can say even more. Sculptural art inhabits real space –just like we as humans do. Jewelery (small sculpture) has the link to personal adornment, expression, ritual & intimate contact with the body, thus adding another layer to its three dimensionality.

 
 
My work is a visual language of form, concept, sign, symbol, colour and texture. I use this language to express universal and personal ideas. My inspiration comes from the materials themselves and the processes applied to them as much as it does from ideas. It is the dialogue of idea, tool and material in action.”

 
(Aaron Frater, 2013.)
 
All artwork on this page
(c)copyright Aaron Frater, 2013.
 
For more examples of Aaron's work, please visit:

No comments:

Post a Comment