Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Artist Biography 5: Janelle Wilson

Janelle Wilson,
Painter, Multi-Media Artist:
Iwi: KAI TAHU, TE WHAKATOHEA, KATI PAKEHA
Born: Timaru, South Canterbury, Aotearoa (NZ), 1979.
(E Hine 2010)
 
Artist's Statement:
My work celebrates and attempts to combine my Maori and European heritage through personal & cultural patterns and symbolism. As a Christian, I also incorporate religious elements in my art, which are drawn from the Bible & the Book of Mormon
(that speak of identity and purpose).
 
(Grace 2011)
 
My beliefs in a pre-mortal world & spiritual realm influence my work and sit alongside the notions of whakapapa (genealogy), wairua (spirit) and Atua (deity).
 
(Redemption 2011)
 
These values create strong ties to the natural world within the concepts of kaitiakitanga (guardianship) and kotahitanga (unity).
 
(The Fall 2011)
 
The series of paintings I will create for the Whakapapa show call forth the voices and stories of my ancestors and our connections with many whenua (lands); Aotearoa, Australia, Britain and Europe. They also speak of the divinity which is inherent within each individual as a child of God.”
 
(Janelle Wilson, 2013.)
 
 
All artwork on this page
(c)copyright Janelle Wilson, 2013.
 
 
(The Last Supper - Requiem for a River 2010)
 
For more examples of Janelle's work, please visit:
 


No comments:

Post a Comment