Saturday, May 18, 2013

Artist Biography 10: Kim Strawbridge


Kim Strawbridge, Adornment Maker:

 
My Journey to Melbourne...
 
 
"I am a qualified Automotive Engineer (as my certificate says) or “mechanic” to most people. I have always enjoyed repairing things, but enjoyed more the making or fabrication side of the trade. I am currently involved with giving back to the trade by teaching apprentices.
 
 
 
I have always been interested in art and took it as a subject in college, gaining a pass in our national certificate at the time. When in London (during my O.E.) I would go to the galleries and try & take in some of the great works. After London, I resided in Sydney, finally taking an after-hours class at the Paddington Art School under the tutorage of Steve Gorton.
 
 
 
Family called my partner home and we returned to New Zealand. I met a humorous, bespectacled, fuzzy faced & haired cartoonist called Brent  Harpur (during a cartooning & caricature course in 1991) and we've been friends ever since.
 
In an attempt to get my caricatures more life-like, I took a life drawing class with the very talented Mary Archibald. And that led me down a new path, which included carving Oamaru limestone.
 
 
 
 
I enjoyed the 3D experience and the problem solving that went with it. That, in turn, led to bone carving with Aaron Frater and then Owen Mapp. And finally, this started me incorporating silver & other interesting things like gemstones & castings; with the excellent jewelery tutor Vaune Mason. And (very recently) the unique Steph Lusted.
 
 
I have met some really neat and unique people on the journey so far. And each one has had their own part to play in the development of the way
I design & create objects of adornment.
 
 
 
 
I am looking forward to the future...”
(Kim Strawbridge, 2013.)
 
 
All designs & images on this page (c)copyright Kim Strawbridge, 2013.


No comments:

Post a Comment